Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kids Say (and Do) the Darndest Things

This is a pictureless post, so beware. I have been visiting preschools and kindergartens and interacting with the kids for the last couple of weeks, and I'm here to tell you kids are so fun and all soooo different!!! What fun it has been to interact with 3-, 4-, and 5-year-olds. They have such varying personalities, and they are so inventive when it comes to answering questions. Some of them talk a mile a minute, and others won't say a word. They are surprisingly trusting and very delightful.

One little girl today was so taken with the little stories I was telling her that, when we were done, she went and got a little book and brought it back for me to read to her. One little boy, when we were finished with the tasks, promptly gave me and the student working with me a big hug before going back to class. When I went back the next day, he again came up and hugged me as soon as he saw me. You can't believe the stories I heard as I went through the little tasks. These children are so innocent and pure.

As part of my job, I have been working on a set of tasks that are used to assess how well young children can hear rhymes. We do this by showing them a picture, saying to them a little 4-line rhyme about the picture, and asking them to give us the final word that completes the rhyme. This is followed up by another picture that depicts the "answer" word. Interestingly, we hired Julianne as our artist who created the pictures for these tasks. Then it happened that John's wife Megan's classroom was one in which we administered the tasks. Finally, I wasn't originally supposed to be one of the people administering these tasks, but things have worked out such that I have been doing a great deal of it. It has sort of become a family affair, without any planning or intention.

7 comments:

  1. Fun! Makes me want to know more about the children. Thanks for sharing. I'll be looking forward to the kitchen picture post. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny with all the family connections. I think Megan mentioned you were in her classroom in one of her posts and I was curious how that came to be. Glad to have a bit of an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute!!! You would be a good story teller/book reader. Good job Barby, When David gets to be that age I hope you'll teach him all those rhymes and do all those tasks.
    where are the kitchen pix??????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids do say the darndest things! My students are still asking me when you are coming back! They loved it and yeah, that little Alex is quite the little loving guy. I can only imagine my talkers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's almost a shame to get paid for having so much fun and being so rewarded isn't it?

    What's gone on with your kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you mentioned your work, I was just wondering...Are you still losing your job? When will that take affect? Let me know on my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids are pretty funny - mine usually keep me laughing.

    ReplyDelete