Sunday, March 8, 2009

Oh, the Pain!!!

I've learned that there is more to recovering from this shoulder surgery than I expected. The surgery was on November 10, and I had been doing quite well when I started (about a month ago) to add some little weights--and I mean little, like maybe a half pound--to my exercises to begin strengthening my muscles. Well, it so happened that I did it when my physical therapist was gone for a week, and I think it was a real mistake. That was the beginning of a recurrence of my troubles. Those troubles culminated in a sleepless night last Thursday with such pain in my shoulder that I was in tears. I ended up going to see my doctor Friday morning--thank goodness he had an opening--and he was somewhat baffled. However, he gave me a cortisone shot which has somewhat relieved my pain. I think I was over stressing specifically the spot where the bone was shaved off by carrying heavy things and lifting things with that arm that it wasn't ready to bear yet. In addition, since one muscle is completely gone the others are learning new uses, and they are NOT HAPPY!! Long story short, I'm using that arm much less and trying to keep from stressing it. I don't need another sleepless night like that, and I'm ready to be done with all this.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I hope it gets better. It's amazing how you don't even recognize muscles are there until they hurt. I wanted to let you know I'll be in Utah over Memorial Day weekend and can't wait to see all of your remodeling! I'm flying out on my own without kids, which will be a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barby.... when you told me about your pain I didn't realize it was this bad!!! I am sorry I am no there to somewhat ease it or distract you from it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound miserable. I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update noted. I hope you had a good day today after all the misery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the long recovery. Hopefully the end will be in sight soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete