Thursday, January 28, 2010

REHAB

I've had some kind of funny experiences while I've been in this rehab center recovering from my knee replacement surgery, and I thought I would share a few that I can remember.

First, a little about this place. It is primarily a Medicare center, which should tell you something about the clientele, and contrary to what some of you may think, I'm not yet in that category. Most of the workers here are not used to someone who, though having had surgery recently, is able to stand up and move about fairly easily and be mostly self-sufficient. So there have been a couple of funny "compliments" from some of the younger workers:

I can't remember exactly what I was getting help with--I think this girl was just bringing me some medication or something, and she said, "You don't look old enough to have had knee replacement surgery." I told her that was the nicest thing anyone had said to me all day--or maybe all week!!

The really funny one was another young girl who was helping me dry off after my shower. She was drying my feet, and she said, "You have really nice toenails!" I replied something to the effect that it was the remnants of a pedicure that I had received several months ago, and she said no, it wasn't that. Most of the people here have really thick, deformed toenails etc., and mine were different.

I'm probably headed there, but at least I still have some semblance of youth--I have nice toenails.

11 comments:

  1. Those are some pretty funny comments. And I'm sure both are true. :) Hope the recovery is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice toenails are a good thing to have! So when are you heading home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've decided to stay longer to take advantage of the therapy I'm getting, so my projected going home date is Feb. 6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helps to keep a sense of humor. Sounds like rehab is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are recovering so well. Hopefully you will continue to make good progress with the pysical therapy and be self-sufficient soon enough. Those are funny stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where's the picture of those nice toenails? Hope your recovery continues to go well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feb 6th huh, sounds like you love that place... :D
    I am glad you are doing soo well!!!!!!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And we are all glad to have an update on your condition, etc. Glad you posted even though I make an effort to keep myself up to date by other means.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We take the compliments we can get, eb? Glad to hear you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to have youthful toenails. Glad you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete